Wednesday, December 12, 2007

What do I really support?

Last night we read this in the Irresistible Revolution:

"We have to ask who the invisible people are. Who makes our clothes? Who picks our vegetables? And how are they treated? Growing up, I was told not to wear a T-shirt that advertised a band unless I agreed with what they stood for, but I was never told to do the same with the companies I advertised for inadvertently. What do they stand for?"

We got to talking about how we don't really know what a lot of companies stand for or what kind of human rights policies they have, even though we use their products or services every day. So as a bit of a project, those of us present have picked one company to do a bit of research on, to find out what we are actually condoning with our purchases. We will be looking at:

*JoAnn Fabrics
*Honda
*Meijer
*Smirnoff *giggle*
*Levi's
*Yoplait

I am curious to see what we find out. If you want, post as you find info, and we'll continue this conversation on Tuesday.

Also, has anyone ever found that word for 'community love' we've been searching for?

No comments: